Facility maintenance is a tough but important job, and doing it right can be tedious: keeping track of paperwork, making sure the entire team is on the same page, minimizing the time between work order assignment and completion. Thankfully, though, it doesn’t have to be this way anymore. You can hit your metrics, ensure the safety of everyone in your building, and keep track of all of your to-dos quite easily.
The simplest way to improve your facility maintenance is by going digital and switching to a mobile app. You’ll also need to know how best to use a digital rounds tracker.
Follow these guidelines to optimize your facility maintenance procedures.
Whether you’re in charge of maintenance for one building or 100, you need to ensure everything is conducted in a consistent, timely manner, or else it’ll be difficult to track what’s getting completed and what isn’t.
- Audit your current facility maintenance rounds to determine what’s working and what’s not.
- Are there regular breakages? If so, where? What’s breaking, and why?
- Where do your staffers spend most of their time?
- What are your staff’s most commonly cited challenges/pain points?
- Develop a new set of rounds based on your audit.
- Deploy your new rounds and perform quarterly or biquarterly audits to ensure your facility maintenance is consistent.
The best way to be consistent with your facility maintenance is to use a customizable, easy-to-update digital solution that lets you tailor your rounds to whatever your facility needs.
Set KPIs and track them.
You won’t know if you’re improving your facility maintenance if you’re not looking at your performance. To understand how you’re performing, you need to be able to compare it to benchmarks: where you were before you reconfigured your rounds, and where you want to be. Enter Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
You should set both quarterly and yearly KPIs so you can determine how your facility maintenance plan is faring, both in the day-to-day and overall improvement.
Some examples of good facility maintenance KPIs:
- Work order resolution time
- Average time from assignment to completion, broken down by task and by staff member
- Time between breakages
Keep all staff in the loop.
The best way to improve your facility maintenance, however, is by involving your people in the process. That means you need a way to communicate with your team and update them in real time. The best way to do this is digitally, with an app that enables you to send work orders as needed, exchange information, and communicate without having to be in the same room.
All of these guidelines add up to one simple solution: going digital.